Networks and platforms
This is a list of European networks where Scotland Europa is a member, or some of our member organisations, and we support them with their engagement.
Economic development networks
- European Regions Research and Innovation Network (ERRIN) – ERRIN is a network of EU regions and their Brussels-based representative offices which facilitates knowledge exchange, joint action and project partnerships in the area of research and innovation.
- Vanguard Initiative for New Growth through Smart Specialisation – Scotland is a partner in this regional network to use smart specialisation strategies for entrepreneurial innovation and industrial renewal.
- European Association of Development Agencies (Eurada) – Scotland Europa coordinates Scottish Enterprise’s membership of Eurada, which represents economic development agencies across Europe.
- Conference of Peripheral Maritime Regions of Europe (CPMR) – Eight Scottish coastal and island local authorities are members of this network.
- Euromontana – Highlands and Islands Enterprise, the University of the Highlands and Islands and Highland Council are members of the European association of mountain areas.
- Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) – The Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA) is the Scottish member of this network.
- ReSET-network – Scotland Europa takes part in this Brussels-based network of European Regions working on Skills, Education and Training.
- Digital Skills and Jobs Coalition - The Scottish Local Coalition has made a pledge to this initiative, with partners involving the Scottish Government, Scottish Enterprise, Highlands & Islands Enterprise, Scottish Funding Council, and the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities.
- European Policy Centre (EPC) – The EPC is an independent, not-for-profit think tank, committed to making European integration work aiming to promote a balanced dialogue at the cutting edge of EU affairs.
- Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) – CEPS a policy think-tank in Brussels, which provides research and activities on economic and international policy matters.
Key industry sector networks
- The European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (EIP-AHA) features strong Scottish participation, with Scotland leading the Action Group on integrated care. NHS24 and the Scottish Government form part of the Scottish partnership.
- European Chemical Regions Network (ECRN) – We coordinate, on behalf of Chemical Sciences Scotland, Scotland’s membership in this network of regions with a strong chemical industry.
- Network of European Regions for a Sustainable and Competitive Tourism (NECSTouR) – VisitScotland represents Scotland in this network.
- Roundtable of European Financial Centres – We support Scottish Financial Enterprise’s membership of this network.
- Ocean Energy Europe – We work closely with OEE, the trade association for ocean renewables in Europe. OEE members include Scotland Europa members ScottishPower, Scottish Development International and the University of Edinburgh, as well as the European Marine Energy Centre.
- WindEurope, the European wind energy trade association, includes Scottish Development International.
- The Bio-based Industries Consortium – The James Hutton Institute is an associate member of this partnership.
- Association of Cities and Regions for sustainable Resource management (ACR+) – Zero Waste Scotland represents Scotland in this network.
- The European Network of the Heads of Environment Protection Agencies and the European Union Network for the Implementation and Enforcement of Environmental Law (IMPEL) both include the Scottish Environment Protection Agency.
- The Head of European Nature Conservation Agencies (ENCA), Eurosite – the network for Europe’s natural site managers and the Europarc Federation representing protected areas all include Scottish Natural Heritage.
- Islenet – European Islands Network on Energy & Environment – involves Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)
Innovation & Research networks
- League of European Research Universities (LERU) and the Coimbra Group both include the University of Edinburgh as a member.
- Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities – The University of Glasgow is a founding member of this network.
- Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research (Cesaer) – The University of Strathclyde is the only UK member of this network.
- Eurolife – The network of European Universities in Life Sciences – features the University of Edinburgh as a founding partner
- Urban Research and Education Knowledge Alliance (U!REKA) – Edinburgh Napier University is a founding member of this consortium